Sunday, September 8, 2019

Honor Your Parents, Deuteronomy 5:16

Honor Your Parents

Deuteronomy 5:16 Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

I don't know why, but until this year I had always looked at this commandment as a child's rule. But, it is not just for them. In fact, I believe it is more for the adult. Sure, Paul tells children, "obey your parents," but here God is telling the people of Israel to honor their parents. This goes well beyond childhood... Selah. (think for awhile about how you can make that happen)

K and A, as you may know, I took Grandpa out and rode with him on the tractor to allow him to mow lawn while blind... It took a year of convincing, but he finally agreed to go. Contrary to his first rejection, he enjoyed it! That is honoring your parents. About a month ago, Grandma needed to go get a test done at the doctors in Newport, and it would take 1-1/2 hours. I wanted to go help a friend clean up their house, because they were soon moving... I told the friend that as much as I wanted to be there early, I would need to take my mom to the doctor's. What the friend didn't know was that My Mom decided to take herself after I said I was busy... I changed my mind and took her. That is honoring your parents.

You see, honoring your parents goes on after you grow up. In fact, it continues even after they die... you honor them for as long as you live and you teach your children to honor them as well. Be careful how you speak about your parents in front of your own children. Honor them before everyone.

~Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment