Saturday, April 20, 2019

Never Alone, 2 Timothy 4:16-17

Never Alone

2 Timothy 4:16-17 At my first defense no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But, the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth.

Standing up for Christ can be a lonely place. Often, people can see that which is happening is wrong. They want to take a stand but cannot do so on their own. As people join together, it becomes easier, and together, they find they can make a difference. But, all too often, even the most caring, devoted people fail at the point of confrontation and shy back from speaking out. Here is a case in point:

Years back, I was on church board, and we were having issues with the way the pastor was leading the congregation. The bishop was called in to discuss the issue. I had met with a group of members and we decided I would talk and bring up the issues, and they would support my statements with their own accounts... at the meeting the Bishop inquired about the matters. Sadly, he allowed the pastor to be there. yet I spoke up, but to my surprise, no one else said a thing... The issue was not corrected. After the meeting, the others came to me separately and said how thankful they were that I had approached the issues. I felt a little like Paul, happy I stood up, but sad they abandoned me when I needed them most.

So, why this story, K and A? Because, there will be times when you know others agree with you, but none of them will come beside you to stand with you. Stand anyway! For, the Lord will be there, right beside you. You will not be alone! God will be with you and the Spirit will give you the words you need to speak. You are never alone.

~Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment